Sunday 8 July 2012

ULTIMATE INDEVOURS!

First off, I’d just like to extend an apology to all of my friends and family about the constant harassment to come out and take part in the INDEVOURS Ultimate Frisbee FUNdraiser Tournament. But in reality, I’m not, because the day was a huge success, and I couldn’t have done it without all of the support you all showed us on this ‘indevour.’

So! The tournament was an incredibly long process, and, lets be real, I was way in over my head when I boldly volunteered, “I’ll organize the tournament!” There were several unexpected hoops in which we needed to jump. And organizing an event on campus isn’t as simple as I had originally predicted. The first step was to pick a date, which we did, twice. It was slightly ambitious of my team to give ourselves only a couple of weeks to prepare and organize everything after returning from the winter term break. After facing the reality of the intricacy of the event we decided we would need an extra week, and therefore the day of the tournament was set. June 2nd! How exciting! The day was going to be wonderful, and sunny, and magnificent!

After filling out many forms, having meetings with incredibly helpful people, faxing the Waterloo Health Department our event food forms, and booking Campus Response Team, we were looking pretty good! Now our only issue was… who will play? After days at the registration booth in the SLC, handing out fliers, putting up posters and reposting status updates on Facebook, I was not feeling very confident. One week out we only had one team registered, and a whole lot of maybes.

Being the incredibly keen individuals that we are, INDEVOURS hosted our own class late one evening due to our scheduled class being cancelled. Feeling tired, overwhelmed and slightly defeated, I expressed my concerns with my classmates. I’m not sure if they all love me a lot, or they just say the sheer brokenness in my soul, but these wonderful individuals set off from that meeting determined. 

Finally! Teams started to sign up, and I no longer had to stare at the ceiling all night stressing so hard I thought my heart was going to stop, and my brain was going to explode. This might be a slight dramatization.

The gloomy, rainy Saturday morning finally rolled in, and with it come the fearless athletes! The morning went flawlessly. ONE of the many beautiful things about my classmates is that they have amazing initiative. Everyone knew exactly what they were supposed to be doing, and if they finished that task, they moved on to the next. I could not have been more grateful in that moment for the people I have been blessed with to share this amazing experience with.

The day continued with a total of eight teams playing four games each, which made up a thrilling 32 games! A warm BBQ with quite the spread including hamburgers, veggie burgers, hot dogs, chips, and refreshments, was blazing all day long. Prizes were handed out, and the winners were determined. Although the day was gloomy, Mother Nature was merciful enough to hold out the rain until the very end of the day. And at last, the day came to an end, and I could breathe again.

The Ultimate Frisbee FUNdraiser event would have been nonexistent without the amazing hard work and dedication of my fellow INDEVOURS. Each and every single one of them was my hero on that Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment